Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and passionate Lead/Sr. Level Designer to define and lead the world building for an unannounced project. As a Lead/Sr. Level Designer, you will foster Blizzard’s core value of “Gameplay First” as you collaborate with a small team of designers, engineers, and artists responsible for crafting this unannounced project's world.
We are a team of passionate developers that highly value open-minded collaboration, direct feedback, and the eagerness to grab and drive a feature to Blizzard quality. As a level designer on the team, you will be reviewing feedback from playtests and collaborating with the design team to decide what actions to take. When particularly hard problems arise, you will draw upon the team's collective creativity to finalize a design that meets the game's needs.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience building immersive, explorable environments for modern AAA titles. By blending your mastery of level design with a critical eye for layout and art, you will rally and align teams around building epic, memorable worlds. Our Incubation teams work at a fast pace and are ripe with challenges to take on. Success in this role won’t come easy, but for the right person, it could be the opportunity of a lifetime.
Your portfolio should include visual examples of your favorite game spaces that you have created in your career to date.Responsibilities
- Own level design and world building from conception to the final stages of polish, facilitating communication and coordinating team members to ensure the vision is clearly defined and understood.
- Research, define, pitch, and evangelize level design/project goals and objectives, ensuring the game's creative pillars are captured.
- Partner with engineering to define and create tooling that effectively compliments Blizzard's world-class handcrafted level design.
- Build and lead a small team of level designers and world artists, recruiting and mentoring extraordinary talent, and fostering a team where you lead responsibly through positive example.
- Embrace Blizzard's core value of "Every voice matters," creating a safe space for collaboration, communication, and creativity across all disciplines and departments.
- 5+ years’ experience in the games industry working as level designer, shipping at least two AAA titles.
- Demonstrated mastery of level design processes including, but not limited to, level flow, engagement design, pacing, storytelling, etc.
- Strong understanding of level editing packages such as Maya, Unity, UDK, or other proprietary tools.
- Good spatial and layout design skills.
- Expert game design sensibilities.
- Ability to pitch game design concepts in a clear, detailed manner, through strong written and verbal skills.
- Experience using rapid prototyping to test feasibility of concepts.
- Passion for making games look and play great.
- Ability to self-critique and accept outside feedback.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Experience with AAA Game Engines such as: Source, Unreal, Unity or CryEngine
- Knowledge of Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop, Zbrush, and Substance.
- Passion for action games on console or PC.
- Resume which must include:
- A link to your portfolio so that we can see examples of your work.
- Cover Letter which must include: (Highly recommended)
- Why you are interested in joining Blizzard Entertainment.
- Your experience and relationship with Blizzard games.
- What games you are currently playing.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.