Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an experienced designer to join the ranks of our level design team on World of Warcraft.
Azeroth itself is one of the most important characters in our game. This is your opportunity to join the team charged with crafting that world.
This design position will involve the creative design and technical implementation of our outdoor world zones. The ideal candidate will be an experienced level designer for games, with good technical skills in creating 3D spaces, developed art skills including a strong visual aesthetic. Level design on World of Warcraft requires the ability to sculpt and form 3D terrain, while also being able to integrate the core gameplay experience for our players.
In addition, we expect that candidates have great people skills, boundless creativity, extensive knowledge of World of Warcraft, and a longstanding passion for playing games.
Your portfolio should include visual examples of your favorite game spaces that you have created in your career to date.
- World Building and Level Layout, composing environments using asset placement and terrain sculpting and painting.
- Communicate and work with designers and other artists to create convincing and thematic environments that feel natural and compelling.
- Closely follow art and design concepts.
- Have a thorough understanding of pipelines and art integration into the game.
- Contribute to the creative process through original ideas and inspiration.
- Participate in critiquing your work and the work of other artists.
- Work with the entire development team in an energetic and creative environment.
- Own the creation of levels from blockout through final set dressing and lighting.
- Gather art, design and playtest feedback and translate it into iterative improvements.
- Help drive the aesthetic and gameplay vision for the game.
- Assist in scoping work for on time milestone deliveries.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience as a Level designer / World Builder
- Portfolio of work demonstrating strong proficiency as an Environment Artist and/or Level Designer
- Strong sense of level design, scale, pacing, and gameplay flow
- Excellent composition skills
- Excellent understanding of environmental design and its functions within a game
- Strong understanding of lighting, mood, and color
- Ability to work closely with many other disciplines and be a team player
- Experience with any proprietary terrain sculpting tool is a plus
- MMO experience a plus
Required Application Materials
- Resume which must include:
- A link to your portfolio so that we can see examples of your work
- Cover Letter which must include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- Your experience and relationship with World of Warcraft
- What games you are currently playing
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.