Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and passionate Sr. Software Engineer, Gameplay/Animation to design and architect compelling gameplay with a focus on animation for an unannounced project. As a Sr. Software Engineer focused on Gameplay and Animation systems, you will champion Blizzard’s core value of “Gameplay First” as you collaborate with a small team of designers, engineers, and artists responsible for building a beautiful and visceral core combat experience for an exciting new project.
The ideal candidate will have experience working on the animation and gameplay aspects of core combat gameplay in modern 1st/3rd person AAA titles. By blending your mastery of programming with a critical eye for design, you will help architect and implement an epic gameplay experience. Our incubation teams are fast paced and mission critical. Success in this role won’t come easy, but for the right person, it could be the opportunity of a lifetime.
- Collaborate with designers and other gameplay engineers to create compelling player character animation systems and gameplay experiences.
- Work on core animation systems, physics, IK and procedural animations in a dynamic world.
- Collaborate with technical artists to analyze and extend existing animation pipelines and features to meet the project's needs.
- Integrate the best aspects of other Blizzard animation systems into our R&D efforts.
- Own systems vertically from the backend to the player-facing UX.
- Optimize animations for a large-scale networked multiplayer environment.
- Prototype and integrate cutting-edge animation technologies.
- Champion Blizzard Entertainment’s core values, especially "Gameplay First."
- B.S. (or higher) degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- At least five years of programming experience, with an emphasis on character animation.
- Mastery of modern C++ fundamentals.
- Experience developing complex animation systems for published PC or next-gen console games, with at least one shipped title.
- Deep understanding of the animation pipeline from start to end—techniques used for facial capture and motion capture, rigging, data clean-up, etc.
- Experience developing or working with animation blend graphs, real-time IK, animation compression, and/or advanced animation memory management (streaming).
- Demonstrated success working with facial animations, procedural/physical animation, real-time animation systems, and IK systems.
- Experience with interfaces between animation systems and gameplay systems.
- Broad understanding of performance optimization techniques.
- Expert-level understanding of client/server architectures and networked gameplay.
- Experience working with riggers, animators, and designers, and an understanding of their workflow.
- Passion for making games look and play great
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Extensive experience with one or more real-time animation middleware (eg: Havok Animation, Granny, HumanIK, Morpheme) or equivalent custom/in-house solutions.
- Experience with multi-threaded engine programming on PC and consoles.
- Deep understanding of motion capture systems and pipelines; ability to implement physics-based and key-framed animation.
- Experience with procedural animation technologies.
Experience with multiple game engines (Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, etc.).
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.