Blizzard Entertainment has an exciting opportunity for a talented and enthusiastic lead software engineer to join our Battle.net account and commerce team!
The Battle.net account and commerce team develops the services and infrastructure that houses hundreds of millions of Battle.net accounts and handles millions of transactions for the StarCraft, Diablo, World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, and the Overwatch franchises for multiple regions around the globe. Ever wonder how that spectral mount is represented in our account database, or what happens when you click “Buy” in Hearthstone for additional booster packs? Curious what happens on a game launch night, where millions of customers attend midnight launches, rush home to claim a key, and unlock access to games, features, upgrades, and more? Have you added an authenticator or your mobile number to bolster the security of your account? Well, we're the team that provides the platform powering all of those features and more.
The lead software engineer will manage and lead a small but growing team of talented engineers charged with building and optimizing the shared infrastructure that our platform is built on. You will proactively seek out opportunities to introduce architecture and technologies that benefit multiple teams positively and our platform’s maintainability, scalability and operability. While primarily software engineering focused, additional responsibilities will include working closely with other teams across Battle.net and Blizzard in our ongoing efforts to transition our services to a hybrid cloud environment, and optimize our global service and data tiers. We’re looking for a candidate not only passionate about shared software infrastructure and libraries, but all aspects of building, deploying and operating high scale distributed systems.
- Management and leadership experience, and / or ability
- A minimum of 12 years’ experience in software engineering, including experience with Java
- Exceptional understanding of APIs, service-oriented architecture, and message-oriented middleware
- Solid experience with RDBMSs from a development and operational perspective.
- Solid software security fundamentals
- Well versed with the fundamentals of scalable system architecture and technical design.
- Familiar with various forms of testing practices, including regression, acceptance, functional, and load testing
- A passion and desire to manage and lead high-performance teams and people. Inspire, support, guide, and grow!
- Pragmatic decision making, striking the balance between business value and engineering complexity
- Excellent communications skills and strong leadership experience.
- Able to build effective vertical and horizontal relationships, to foster world-class collaboration and teamwork
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent experience
- Previous experience with owning and developing shared libraries and software infrastructure
- Familiar with the Spring Framework
- Experience operating Oracle or similar enterprise grade RDBMS in a high scale OLTP environment, including working closely with DBAs and storage engineers
- Strong understanding of Linux / UNIX servers
- Passion for video games
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.