Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an experienced database professional to join our DB Engineering (DBE) team in Irvine, California. This role is a mix of technical contributor and people manager.
- Collaborate with development teams on architecture and deployment of Cassandra database systems
- Mentor and lead a small team of database engineers
- Serve as a the principal subject matter expert on Cassandra for project managers and engineering teams
- Drive innovation and process improvement efforts
- Provide advice on database design and modeling
- Install, configure, patch, and upgrade database management software
- Design and implement backup solutions and perform recovery testing
- Migrate, secure, and scale clusters
- Create and utilize tools to monitor database health
- Automate tasks where possible (Ansible, Puppet, Python)
- Coordinate with DBMS vendors for support
- Conduct functional and stress testing at both the system and database level
- Produce procedural, knowledge, and troubleshooting documentation
- Investigate and resolve operational issues
- 24/7 on-call rotation
- 4+ years of experience working with Cassandra (Apache distribution preferred)
- Proficient UNIX/Linux knowledge and skillset
- Background in 24x7 and large scale operational environments
- Experience working with multi-datacenter DB deployments
- Strong understanding and practical experience with relational databases
- Strong understanding of NoSQL theory and industry trends
- Excellent communicator
- Previous experience as a technical leader
- Experience running Cassandra in OpenStack
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.