Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an exceptional FX supervisor to lead the team which creates all the FX elements for their award-winning cinematics animation team.
Are you the type to ignite others both as a leader and as an FX specialist? Do you thrive in managing and mentoring creatives and being a true partner to others on the animation team? If you are ready to add your passion to a close-knit, collaborative community of artists, producers and engineers whose goal is to make emotionally moving and visually beautiful cinematic content, read on.
As a FX supervisor you will help manage a team of talented FX artists, refine the pipeline/process and oversee the artistic and technical aspects of all the FX creations in Blizzard Animation.
- Provide artistic supervision to the FX team by guiding them in achieving the projects’ artistic vision.
- Deep understanding of various FX-related packages (Houdini, Nuke, After Effects), in an Animated CG production environment.
- Work with our viz-dev team to come up with innovative designs and looks for a wide range of FX elements.
- Help develop, direct and maintain all aspects of the FX pipeline. Collaborate with a team to develop workflows, techniques and practices as well as identify, develop and maintain current FX tools.
- Work with lighting and compositing team to ensure high quality FX integration can be achieved in production.
- Review FX elements to ensure visual quality and identify technical issues.
- Work with up and downstream departments to help develop the best possible workflow for the projects.
- Work with the production department manager to create and vet bids for FX tasks in production.
- Work with the production department manager to figure out future needs of the team including hardware, software, methods and staffing.
- Guide bidding and scoping of new projects and communicate needs effectively during preproduction phases
- Oversee artists and provide work direction, performance reviews, and coaching for the team.
- Administer staffing decisions that help achieve both short and long term goals.
- Partner with production to help create and plan team schedules and ensure proper workflow throughout the department.
- Partner with the senior management to develop career paths across the team.
- Help guide artists in their careers through conducting performance evaluations and day to day mentoring.
- Passion for developing content in various visual styles (from hyper-real to stylized cartoon looks)
- Experienced user in Houdini
- Strong eye for details when it comes to translating a concept design into final FX elements
- Proven experience with compositing process and software
- Able to problem-solve faulty/problematic FX elements
- A minimum of 5 years' experience as a senior FX artist
- Up-to-date knowledge of the latest hardware and software in the entertainment industry.
- Strong leadership, communication and management skills
- Excellent artistic and technical analytical skills
- In-depth understanding of the current industry standard FX process/technology
- Some programming background a plus
- Experience playing Blizzard games
- Online portfolio of work or portfolio to showcase
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.