Blizzard Entertainment is seeking exceptional Linux Systems Engineers, and we know we’re not alone in our search. So why choose Blizzard? Our team dynamics and work environment are like no other. Our unique blend of opportunity, environment, and people all help make Blizzard the studio worthy of your career. You’ll be joining a network operations team that attacks challenges and crafts solutions with the same enthusiasm and creativity as our players do in our games. We love keeping up with and using the latest technology, and we take pride in protecting and gatekeeping some of the world’s most popular and beloved gaming franchises. Like our company as a whole, our team is built on a culture of passion for who we are, what we create, and who we support. We want to hear from skilled Engineers ready and eager to continue this adventure with us. If you like what you read below, drop us a line!
This person will be part of the global network operations team responsible for supporting ALL of Blizzard’s customer-facing IT systems and services. Such services include Battle.net, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo 3, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm. In addition to managing these IT platforms, BONS also works closely with our development teams throughout a product’s lifecycle. Our team’s mission statement: Innovating and delivering global technology solutions to power the most epic entertainment experience... Ever.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for testing, designing, and deploying every single new technology that Blizzard uses. Our team operates with a high degree of autonomy, and is given the flexibility and responsibility to pick the solution that is the best fit for the problem. You will work with a team of peers with extensive experience in large scale, global infrastructure, and you will have all the resources at your fingertips to ensure that any new systems we design will stand up to the extreme demands of the gaming industry.
If that sounds like a team you’d like to be a part of, read on to find out the responsibilities of a UNIX Systems Engineer at Blizzard.
- Design and implement complex custom stacks of open source and proprietary products to support multi-thousand node production environments
- Scale and optimize systems, hardware, and software. You will also be able to tune demanding game, web, and database servers for maximum performance
- Security and Hardening is everyone’s job. As an infrastructure visionary, you will carefully consider the security implications of proposed solutions and work with Security folks to develop good policy and sound practices
- You will proactively research new technologies and perform proof of concept evaluations so that your toolbox contains as many different solutions as possible
- Continuous improvement. Not only do we design solutions, but we also constantly iterate and improve on them
- We are not only responsible for designing our solutions, but for being a last line of support. If we can’t fix the problem, it’s likely that no one else can either – including enterprise Linux support centres
- Your programming and scripting skills enable you to write decent code, debug in a variety of languages, and tweak existing software to your specific needs
- Systems Integration. A complicated system like Blizzard’s infrastructure requires engineers who understand how systems behave with other components, such as networking, storage, SAN, and database
- You are well versed or acutely aware of things like Configuration Management, OpenStack, IaaS, Hadoop, Converged Networking, Virtualization, and anything else that is currently trending in IT
- Leadership. You'll leverage your vast experience to mentor and provide guidance to a team of eager Administrators who help you deploy and maintain the infrastructure
- All designed or implemented solutions have to be documented so that everyone is aware of how and why things work
A STRONG CANDIDATE WILL HAVE MANY (IF NOT ALL) OF THESE SKILLS:
- Previous work experience in big enterprise environments, where downtime is unacceptable
- A mastery of Linux. This means: you know why things work on a Linux system, not just how to configure them.
- Several years of experience administering CentOS or Ubuntu
- Able to read and write software in Python or some other administrative language
- Able to read and perform debugging of C / C++ / Java programs. Being able to write programs in these languages is even better!
- Expertise with configuration management (we use Puppet)
- OpenStack and / or EC2 experience
- Familiar with the Hadoop ecosystem, including message transport technologies
- Knowledge of Apache, Tomcat, Ant, Maven, and / or other web technologies
- Knowledge of AMQP / RabbitMQ
- Experience supporting or maintaining Oracle, MySQL, and Couchbase
- A passion for making Blizzard games the best in the world!
- Willing to travel internationally occasionally
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.