The Blizzard global communications editorial team has an immediate opening for an experienced, business-oriented editor who is passionate about helping to shape our messaging around company-level initiatives. This will involve contributing to the communications strategy and owning content responsibility for everything from event keynotes to social-responsibility projects to quarterly earnings calls, in addition to developing and refining the messaging to support such efforts.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a skilled business communicator—someone who is articulate, well versed in the rules of grammar, and experienced in developing their own written work and the work of others. Familiarity with a wide range of communications vehicles—speeches, press releases, FAQs, crisis statements, PowerPoints, and more—is essential, as is experience creating and enlivening copy for a range of channels and audiences—websites, social media, video, employees, the press, and the public.
The editor in this role will be partnering with internal and external colleagues at different levels of the company, including agencies, customer service teams, web and game developers, and senior executives, so a strong sense of organization, professionalism, self-motivation, attention to detail, and time management is critical. Additionally, we’re looking for someone who is well-informed on Blizzard’s games and history, the game industry, and communication trends, and who can write with the humor and creativity appropriate for a global entertainment company.
- Outline, draft, refine, and finalize speeches for executives and other senior spokespeople, in voice and on brand for each speaker
- Write, edit, proof, fact-check, and polish a variety of business-oriented communications, including emails, FAQs, press releases, web content, video scripts, PowerPoint presentations, and more—all with a relentless focus on quality
- Oversee and develop news content for cross-franchise sites, including blizzard.com and blizzcon.com
- Collaborate with marketing, financial, web, legal, executive, and development teams across a range of projects
- Manage content-approval process
- Develop and support crisis-communication strategies on global business- and franchise-related topics
- Coordinate public-communication efforts with domestic and international teams
- Work with representatives from other departments to help establish and improve content-development processes and public-communication standards
- Interview subject matter experts to gather data for written assignments
- Develop and maintain a communications style guide and other sharable communications guidelines, as well as a digital messaging archive
- Monitor content effectiveness and help modify content strategies accordingly
- Help define, document, and uphold Blizzard communications standards
- Implement consistent document-control procedures and help manage the document file system
- Additional projects and duties as assigned
- B.A. in English or journalism, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 10+ years editorial, PR, journalism, or marketing communications experience
- Ability to work quickly, under deadline pressures, at a high quality level
- Strong knowledge of English grammar and usage, and solid proofreading skills
- Experience using style and grammar references, including Chicago Manual of Style
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills
- Proficiency with MS Office, particularly PowerPoint and Word
- Ability to focus and multitask in a fast-paced environment and with minimal supervision
- Ability to exercise good independent judgment and discretion
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills
- Gaming and esports fan
- Experience with legal- and/or finance-related communications
- Technical and/or narrative-development experience
- Web-development experience
- Cover letter
- Writing samples
Other jobs in Writing / Editing
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.