“Dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever.”
That’s our mission statement here at Blizzard Entertainment, and for a tools engineer on the World of Warcraft (WoW) team, it’s a way of life.
In this role, you’ll improve existing tools and create new tools that will enable some of the most talented designers and artists in the world to ply their craft freely and directly. As such, you must be proficient in developing powerful programs for designer and artist content creation pipelines.
The WoW team is built on a culture of collaboration, intense creativity, and problem solving. As a group, we are committed to pushing our exploration of Azeroth to the fullest, and in doing so creating a gaming experience like no other. As a tools engineer, the work you do will live at the very heart of this philosophy. We’re looking for an engineer with qualities above and beyond engineering. We want a person that enjoys working in a group setting; who speaks artist, designer, and geek with equal fluency, and whose experience in creative environments has reinforced the value of communications, empathy, and knowledge sharing.
- Design and implement development tools for all disciplines.
- Communicate with other departments within the team to improve existing tools and determine new solutions.
- Maintain tools for performance, stability, and error-free operation.
- Identify and resolve pipeline issues and discover opportunities for improvement.
- Passion for tool development -- enabling others to have the best tools available
- Advanced understanding of C / C++
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in application programming
- Experience developing Windows GUI applications using MFC, or another windowing toolkit such as wxWindows or Qt
- Strong mathematics skills
- Able to communicate and collaborate well with non-technical users, including artists and designers
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment and handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong experience with SQL databases -- database design, query design, and programming language bindings
- Service-oriented attitude with an eye for efficiency
- Legendary debugging skills
- Advanced understanding of game content pipeline and tools
- Experience with modern source control systems, such as Subversion, Git, or Perforce
- Detailed knowledge of 3D graphics and math, animation, camera control, and lighting
- Modern C++ skills, such as STL, templates, and lambda usage
- Experience shipping multiple game titles
- Experience with plugins development for 3D Studio Max or Maya
- Interest in workflow automation
- User interface (UI) design experience
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.