Blizzard Entertainment has an opening for a talented and enthusiastic Lead Software Server Engineer to join our Battle.net Game Service (BGS) Core technologies team!
The Battle.net Game Service group develops the software, services and infrastructure that keeps millions of players online simultaneously worldwide, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. When you login, send a friend request, a whisper or a chat within one of our rich virtual worlds, alongside millions of other players simultaneously, BGS is right there. When you use voice chat, check your profile statistics, or create a new group, in service to our players we are the team that makes those things possible. From Overwatch to Hearthstone, StarCraft 2 to Diablo 3, World of Warcraft to Heroes, regardless of the game, time zone, or scale, BGS is ready to answer the call with effectiveness and professionalism, acting as the central pillar to supercharge all player engagement.
- Lead a small and talented team to develop technology to facilitate the authoring of scalable, highly performant platform services
- Work with the Program Management staff and other engineering leads of the Game Service group to prioritize tasks and track development progress within the Core technologies team
- Ensure that that the Core technologies team adheres to established coding standards, development philosophies, and maintains efficient coding practices
- Coordinate with internal and external development teams, create relationships and assist with shared initiatives
- Lead the ongoing effort to improve our platform infrastructure, with the goal of achieving ever increasing service availability
- Perform research to acquire new knowledge necessary to perform assigned tasks and maintain a process of technological evolution
- Manage and improve the processes and tools by which Game Service builds, validates, and deploys services to development and production environments
- Oversee the operational picture of deployed services including operational documentation and service health monitoring
- Manage, support, and guide the careers of a varied workforce of development, automation, and operations engineers
- Serve as an active partner within the larger Game Service leadership group
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Advanced understanding of C++
- Prior development work on distributed systems and client/server architectures
- Strong data-structure, logic, and algorithm skills
- Knowledge of network and server security issues
- Experience with performance analysis and code optimization
- Experience with protocol and API design
- Database schema development experience (MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, etc.)
- Self-motivated and able to break down complex tasks
- Previous technical leadership experience
- Linux development experience (server applications, gdb debugging, etc.)
- Experience with cloud/virtualization/containerization technologies and infrastructure
- Experience supporting a live service.
- Enthusiastic about supporting a live service
- A passion for both video games, and technology
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.