There’s no job in art quite like a character concept artist. The quickest sketch can take root and grow into a new hero or villain for players to enjoy. As a concept artist working on Blizzard’s Overwatch, your fearless imagination and bold talent will translate dreams to reality, create new heroes and that expand our world.
Using the skills of both artist and designer to their fullest potential, a concept artist lives on the front line of development. You’ll work closely with designers and character artists to imagine new heroes, and your knowledge of anatomy and expression will be pushed to new heights designing the heroes, villains, and the creatures between to inhabit this new world.
In short, you’ll be part of a close-knit, collaborative community of artists, engineers and designers whose goal isn’t just painting a pretty picture but rather to make a truly immersive game experience.
Nobody values the contributions of a concept artist like we do. If you’re ready to embrace the challenge of helping realize the next epic Blizzard title, we want to hear from you!
- Create character concepts including character sheets, movement studies and detailed breakouts for equipment and weapons
- Iterate on game assets with production artists via paint overs, studies, and group critiques
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience creating concept artwork for animation, film or videogames
- Experienced with digital content creation tools such as Photoshop, Painter, etc
- An exceptional understanding of human and creature anatomy and a keen eye towards form, shape, structure, and silhouette
- Superior eye for light, value, composition, color, staging, and detail
- Able to carry an idea from the conceptual phase to the finished illustration and an understanding of translating these ideas to real-time game environments
- Understanding of the distinctive Blizzard Entertainment visual style and a passion to push it to the next level
- A passion for games
- Experience in creating visual designs that support gameplay oriented goals
- Working knowledge 3D art techniques & software packages such as Maya, 3Ds Max, Zbrush, or Mudbox
- Have shipped an AAA PC or console title as a concept artist
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Cover Letter is required
- Portfolio and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album).
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.