Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a leader for an engineering team responsible for the diverse portfolio of Database technologies which power our online games. Database Engineering architects, deploys, maintains, and tunes all technologies which store our critical customer, gameplay, and development related data.
The Database Engineering team currently is responsible for technologies such as Cassandra, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server, but is easily able to pivot and support new technologies that the business requires. The team is always ready to adapt to changing requirements by our game team customers, and work with them to engineer and support the technology solutions which best support a product’s development.
The Technical Manager is ultimately responsible for the ongoing maintenance and support of database technologies and systems currently in production at Blizzard. Additionally, they partner with development teams to design and constantly re-evaluate their technology stack to assure that it is optimal for each service. Building relationships is key; an ideal candidate will be able to establish a rapport with Technical Directors and Server Engineering Leads across the company, enabling a cooperative relationship between Database Engineers in IT, and the engineers who design the applications which power our online games.
COVID-19 Hiring Update:
We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Primary responsibility for the health and performance of all critical persistent database technologies at Blizzard, including Cassandra, MySQL (InnoDB, Cluster), Oracle/Exadata, Couchbase, and others.
- Management of public cloud database services from Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services
- Strategic planning, roadmapping, and setting vision for the team
- Overseeing technical projects that align with higher business and department goals
- Collaborating with partner and customer teams on the architecture and health of their environments
- Mentor, grow, motivate, and develop the team
- Identifying opportunities for innovation by studying new products and industry trends
- Fostering a culture of success and continual improvement
- A strong foundation in relational and non-relational DB theory
- Experience with a wide range of technologies; able to draw upon past direct and indirect experience to successfully guide a large team to success
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to coach and develop managers and individual contributors in their organization successfully
- Forward thinking attitude and resistance to complacency, focusing on long term goals and what IT at Blizzard will look like in years to come
- Uptime-focused – our services are always available, performant, and reliable
- Able to resolve conflicts or disagreements in a win-win fashion across all their sub teams
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in information technology
- A minimum of 5 years of experience leading teams in tech
- Previous experience in database administration
- Experience with application development, specifically interfacing with the database
- Experience leading a large customer facing database infrastructure supporting millions of end users
- Experience working in an environment with multiple international teams around the globe
- Degree in a relevant technology-related discipline
- A passion for making Blizzard games the best in the world
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.