The Overwatch team is seeking a highly skilled engineer to serve as Lead Gameplay Engineer.
Members of our team are passionate gamers at heart - driven to make the most fun and compelling experiences for our players. We spend our days collaborating and iterating on everything that goes into the game: from placing health packs to dreaming up the most thrilling “Play of the Game” animations. Our goal is to always surprise and delight our players. We believe in maximum visibility and communication at the team level and with the people who play our game. This philosophy, along with the Blizzard values of “Gameplay First” and “Play Nice, Play Fair,” has made Overwatch one of Blizzard's most successful games, and it has crafted a bond of trust with our worldwide player community that is deeply important to us.
We're looking for a Lead Gameplay Engineer that shares our values:
- We take responsibility for delivering our work.
- We collaborate constantly, helping each other to be successful.
- We continuously improve our knowledge, workflows and processes.
- We communicate openly, calling out issues, opportunities, and sharing feedback.
- We have integrity, maintain confidentiality, and share a sense of ownership in our success.
- We have real passion for the game, our players, quality work, and technology.
- Partner with our technical director to contribute to the technical direction for the gameplay team across all platforms.
- Collaborate with the design team to achieve and extend the overall vision of the game.
- Evaluate and upgrade the technical skills of engineers on the gameplay team.
- Work with other leads and producers to establish game related tasks and schedules.
- Understand and articulate the trade-offs of technical choices in support of a live game.
- Provide critical analysis of development practices with the goal of improving game quality, team efficiency, and cultivating a positive working environment.
- Collaborate with other technical groups across Blizzard to promote the development of shared technologies.
- Previous leadership experience or shown leadership potential
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in AAA game development
- Experience with code and data optimization
- Fluent in C / C++
- Strong programming skills and a shown ability to work with all departments to carry out the vision of the game
- Experience in the design and architecture of game systems.
- Self-motivated and self-directing, knowledgeable about and willing to pitch in on many areas of development
- Comfortable working within (and extending) an established code framework
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Real passion for video games
- Experience with first person shooter game development
- Experience with secure programming
- Computer science or related degree
- Real passion for technology
- Experience developing for multiple platforms
- Familiar with Blizzard games
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.