Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a senior data scientist to join our business intelligence and risk team. The ideal candidate has a strong technical background in machine learning, data mining, statistics or a related quantitative field and has the ability to carry out innovative research and development using advanced statistical modeling techniques.
- Research and develop state-of-the-art machine learning, data mining and statistical modeling solutions to understand game design, system performance and key business behaviors, such as player acquisition, retention, and winback.
- Analyze and extract key insights and patterns from Blizzard's rich collections of petabytes of gameplay and operational data.
- Design and develop innovative predictive models for applications like matchmaking, recommendation systems, targeted marketing, etc.
- Work closely with data and systems engineers to deploy and maintain models seamlessly on production systems.
- Establish scalable, automated processes for large scale data extraction, model development, model validation and model implementation.
- Effectively translate statistical findings into actionable recommendations for senior leaders on game design and business teams.
- Mentor PhD data science interns on model design, feature building, model evaluation and deployment.
- PhD from a top-tier university with a specialization in Machine Learning, Statistics, Applied Math, or in a related quantitative field
- Expertise in machine learning and statistical analysis approaches such as classification, clustering, regression, statistical inference, collaborative filtering, natural language processing, experimental design, social networking analysis, etc.
- Able to invent and prototype novel machine learning algorithms from scratch
- A minimum of 3 years’ hands-on applied research experience developing and implementing machine learning models on large scale data sets
- Expertise in automating and deploying models in production systems
- Strong problem solving skills
- Proficient with programming languages like Python, Java or C++
- Strong programming and prototyping skills in R or MATLAB
- Expertise with SQL, MPP and NoSQL databases
- Expertise with Big Data and Hadoop tech stack (HDFS / Map Reduce / Mahout / Hive / Spark)
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Passion for video games
- Experience with Blizzard Entertainment games
- Experience mentoring junior scientists or PhD interns
- A proven track record of original contributions to machine learning and statistics
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Other jobs in Business Intelligence
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.