Do you have experience inspiring a team and a deep passion for creating detailed and compelling artwork? Does the idea of joining an established team looking to take a successful game to the next level and playing a central role in developing its creative vision sound intriguing? Here’s your chance! The Hearthstone team is on the hunt for a creative and driven individual to serve as Lead Artist. This person will help establish, interpret, and refine the game design by creating high quality production artwork and by guiding the development efforts of a band of talented internal artists. In this leadership position, the candidate will also play a key role in establishing a culture that fosters the delivery of a new and continually exciting game experience.
- Mentor, inspire, support, and level-up a team of world class artists through continuous and meaningful conversations.
- Assess the teamwork, skills, and contributions of your direct reports and complete performance reviews
- Create 2D artwork to support the live game (Card Backs, Boards, UI elements, FX Storyboards, style guide upcoming sets and various other assets found in the existing game), all while applying Hearthstone’s whimsical take on the Warcraft universe
- Collaborate in developing the visual design of new characters, environments and story elements.
- Help to maintain a consistent and ongoing style for the game as a whole
- Develop and maintain a pipeline for getting art into the game in a timely and consistent manner
- Support relationships with the design, engineering and UI teams to help maintain a “Gameplay First” approach to game development
- 5+ years in game development as a concept or production artist
- Outstanding communication skills including the ability to provide effective written and oral critique, run departmental meetings, and host discussions with external groups
- Experience mentoring other artists through giving and receiving meaningful and actionable feedback
- Strong illustration skills with a focus on highly resolved/detail-oriented work
- Firm understanding of composition principles, effective layout, and color theory
- Ability to champion an established art style and re-imagine/improve it within a new context
- Clear understanding of Blizzard’s distinctive style, specifically as it relates to the Warcraft franchise.
- Solid understanding of the modeling, texturing, animation, and effects capabilities in Maya or equivalent 3D program
- A passion for games and the process of making them!
- Shipped a AAA PC or console title in a lead artist or art director role
- Previous experience with Unity
- Experience in graphic, product, or industrial design
- Specific focus on 3D drawing ability for environmental and object design
Application & Portfolio Materials
- Cover Letter (recommended)
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.