Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an exceptional Senior VFX Artist to help us push the vision of our gaming efforts. As a Senior VFX artist, you'll use your extensive experience working with 3D packages and in-game FX systems to create a wide range of visual effects for both characters and environments. An understanding of how good gameplay marries with exceptional visuals is valuable as you jam with designers, engineers, and artists to develop exciting new characters that pop off the screen thanks to your mastery in creating the textures and geometry needed for stylized VFX.
Do you have extensive experience working with 3D packages and in-game FX systems to create a wide range of VFX (like fire, smoke, magic, electricity, and explosions), as well as a general understanding of good gameplay communication? Do you also have a deep understanding of the principles of motion, anticipation, dynamics, follow-through, lighting, and other facets of animation? If so, we need you!
If you’re ready to work alongside a team of the best artists, engineers, designers, and producers on the planet and enjoy the support of a company whose culture is all about collaborative game development, we want to hear from you!
- Creation of handcrafted visual effects to be used in real-time game assets
- Technical setup, integration, and troubleshooting of VFX in a real-time game engine
- Work with lead artists to ensure timely completion of VFX assets
- Serve as an active participant in team art discussions, critiques, and reviews.
- A minimum of 3-5 years creating real-time special FX for video games
- Experience with crafting consistently brilliant, eye-catching, real-time FX using Photoshop, Maya, and in-game FX systems
- Able to paint stylized FX textures from scratch, matching an established style
- Proficient with flip book-style animated FX.
- Proficient with 3D graphics, particle systems, physics, ribbons, etc.
- Working knowledge of rendering engines
- Solid game design awareness and an exceptional game design-oriented collaborator
- Self-driven, and an excellent communicator.
- Avid player of all kinds of games, from AAA to mobile
- Mobile game development experience
- Previously shipped AAA mobile, PC, or console titles as a VFX artist
- Experience authoring custom materials and graphics shaders
- Scripting experience in Lua, Python, etc.
- Skill in one or more related disciplines: illustration, modeling, animation, or technical art
- Understanding of Blizzard's visual style and a dream to push it to the next level..
- Portfolio of work in digital format (website, blog, online album, Dropbox, etc.). Physical media will not be accepted
- Cover letter (optional).
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.