Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and passionate Senior Software Engineer, Server Platform to design, architect, and maintain the server platform and tools for an unannounced project. As a software engineer focused on server platform, you will champion Blizzard’s core value of “Gameplay First” as you build systems used by engineers, designers, and producers and unlock our ability to quickly iterate and create compelling gameplay experiences.
In addition to having the usual technical chops, we want to hear from qualified engineers who have an unusual passion for games and finding simple solutions to complex problems. The candidate should be excited by the idea of working closely with engineers, designers, producers, and artists to create fast and stable delivery pipelines and server environments. We love engineering, geeking out over new technology, and helping move the industry forward. Most importantly, we learn, grow, and ultimately enjoy success as a team, overcoming new challenges together.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Design, architect, and maintain the team's build, test, deployment, and run-time services using state-of-the-art hybrid cloud technology.
- Foster best-in-class internal game developer user experiences for games as a service.
- Evangelize service-oriented architecture best practices with the goal of improving team efficiency and reducing technical barriers.
- Create, maintain, and extend core server platform libraries, shared code, and tooling.
- Collaborate and share best practices across Blizzard with other cloud and server engineering teams.
- At least five years of programming experience with emphasis on build, test, deploy, provisioning, orchestration, and monitoring.
- Experience working with NoSQL in a high-availability configuration.
- Demonstrated success setting up continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines.
- Familiarity with cloud technology and optimizing workloads for AWS, GCP and/or OpenStack.
- Understanding of current containerization and orchestration technology.
- Proficient in at least one scripting language such as Python.
- Experience with monitoring, reporting, and logging tools.
- Fluency in C/C++ and comfortable tracking down crashing and performance issues in C/C++ native services.
- Working knowledge of message-oriented middleware such as RabbitMQ or Kafka.
- Experience designing zero-downtime high-availability systems using dynamic configuration management.
- Passion for video games.
- Self-motivated, with a strong sense of independence.
- Prior game development experience.
- Experience supporting a high call/concurrency live service.
- Computer Science or Engineering degree.
- Experience with scalable distributed systems.
- Multi-platform expertise (Windows, Linux, Console).
Required Application Materials
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.