Blizzard Entertainment has been rated for several years by Fortune as one of the "Best Places to Work". We are a community of 4000 global employees who are passionate about not only about gaming, but entertainment and the technology that drives our users experience. Our goal is delighting our customers, and providing a world of creativity and adventure around every corner.
Senior Technical Writer
Provided you consider yourself a skilled, passionate, adaptable technical writer, you may be the candidate for whom Blizzard Entertainment is looking to fill a position on our IT Knowledge Management team. Did the last sentence make you cringe and reach for your red pen? Then you might be the person we’re looking for.
As a technical writer working on the IT Knowledge Management team, you will be responsible for creating and curating clear, concise, and consumable technical documentation to support our global IT and operations teams. Our ideal candidate is a wordsmith who’s equally comfortable writing a light-hearted feature announcement as with digging elbows-deep into code and tech specs. If you’re a self-starting words nerd with a mind for technical minutiae, we’re interested to hear from you!
About our team
The IT Knowledge Management team is a small team that supports Blizzard Entertainment’s larger global IT and operations teams. We’re responsible for long-term strategic vision, technical documentation, and knowledge continuity. As a senior technical writer on the IT Knowledge Management team, you’ll be expected to work with a wide array of disciplines across the organization. To function effectively here, you’ll need to adeptly juggle multiple deadlines and to work your agenda amid a sea of competing priorities.
Work with IT and operations teams across Blizzard to create, maintain, revise, and retire technical documentation, including but not limited to:
- Manage documentation initiatives from inception to final delivery
- Hardware and software troubleshooting guides
- Articles, FAQs, and email announcements for end-users
- Corporate tools documentation including API references
- Organize existing documentation, identify gaps and deficiencies, and work with management to prioritize resolutions
- Obtain information by interviewing subject matter experts, including engineers, systems administrators, and technicians
- Create images, charts, drawings, wireframes, and animations to clearly convey complex information
- Collaborate on department-wide writing standards, style guides, and templates
- Mentor teammates on technical writing
- Review and edit documents written by others
- Evangelize and coach on documentation best practices
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Technical Communications, English, or a related field/equivalent experience
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience in a technical communications/documentation role
- Demonstrable writing and technical editing proficiency
- Experience managing documentation projects
- Understanding of common ancillary technical writing functions, including structured authoring and knowledge architecture
- Ability to gather, analyze, and interpret technical information
- Experience working with and documenting networked computer systems, from servers to mobile devices
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to produce documentation in a variety of formats (Wiki, PDF, HTML, etc.)
- Able to work and thrive in a high-energy, deadline-driven environment
- MS in Technical Writing/Communication
- Familiar with Python
- Experience with Atlassian Confluence, ServiceNow, and Jive
- Video game industry experience
- Passion for Blizzard games
- A love for the Oxford comma
Other jobs in Writing / Editing
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.