Blizzard Entertainment has an opening for a talented and enthusiastic Lead Software Server Engineer to lead a new team being formed in Austin. This team will develop Battle.net Platform software for the Battle.net & Online Products Game Services Group.
The Game Services Group develops the software, services and infrastructure that keeps millions of players online simultaneously worldwide, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. When a player logs in, sends a friend request, a whisper, or a chat within one of our rich virtual worlds, Game Services powers these capabilities. When you use voice chat, check your profile statistics, or create a new social group, we are the team that makes those things possible. From Overwatch to Hearthstone, StarCraft 2 to Diablo 3, World of Warcraft to Heroes, regardless of the game, time zone, or scale, Game Services is ready to answer the call with effectiveness and professionalism, acting as the central pillar to supercharge all player engagement.
- Lead a small and talented team to develop technology to facilitate the authoring of scalable, highly performant platform services
- Work with the Program Management staff and other engineering leads of the Game Services Group to prioritize tasks and track development progress within the Austin Game Services team
- Ensure that that the team adheres to established coding standards, development philosophies, and maintains efficient coding practices
- Coordinate with internal and external development teams, most of which will be remotely located, to create relationships and assist with shared initiatives
- Lead the ongoing effort to improve and expand our Battle.net platform infrastructure, with the goal of achieving ever increasing service availability and feature capability
- Perform research to acquire new knowledge necessary to perform assigned tasks and maintain a process of technological evolution
- Manage, support, and guide the careers of a varied workforce of development and automation engineers
- Serve as an active partner within the larger Game Services Leadership Group
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience
- Ability to work within and foster a collaborative environment between remote development teams within a shared code base
- Exceptional communication skills
- Advanced understanding of C++
- Prior development work on distributed systems and client/server architectures
- Strong computer science fundamentals, including algorithms, data structures, and design patterns
- Experience with performance analysis and code optimization
- Experience with protocol and API design
- Database schema development experience (MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, etc.)
- Self-motivated and able to break down complex tasks
- Previous technical leadership experience
- Previous experience collaborating with remote development teams
- Linux development experience (server applications, gdb debugging, etc.)
- Experience with cloud/virtualization/containerization technologies and infrastructure
- Experience supporting a live service.
- Enthusiastic about supporting a live service
- A passion for both video games, and technology
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.