Blizzard has been rated for several years by Fortune as one of the "Best Places to Work.” We are a community of over 4000 global employees who are passionate about not only about gaming, but entertainment and technology that drives our users experience. Our goal is delighting our customers by providing a world of creativity and adventure around every corner.
Blizzard Entertainment has an opening for a talented and enthusiastic Lead Software Engineer to join the Battle.net organization to lead a core technology team.
Battle.net is a premier online global gaming service, powering Blizzard's games with social features, commerce, distribution, and more. The Battle.net Desktop App and Battle.net Mobile App has been installed millions of times around the globe, and they bring our global community of gamers together, and provide them with access to games, news, friends, and more.
We write the majority of Battle.net servers in Java or C++. This core team focuses on the Java technologies of Battle.net, and builds/integrates libraries, frameworks, and tools, to allow our systems to operate with high reliability, and our engineers to be enabled to make the most impact.
Some of the technologies we use include Spring Boot, Docker, Consul, Vault, Terraform, SQL and NoSQL databases, and more, to deliver a world-class platform for Blizzard. The projects includes using cloud technologies for build and deploy automation, monitoring libraries to capture detailed performance and operational metrics at scale, technologies to enable a microservices environment, service reliability improvements, security frameworks, standard methodology CI/CD, auto-scaling, stress testing frameworks, and more!
You will lead a team of talented engineers, to develop scalable and highly performant services, libraries, and frameworks. You will focus on server-side engineering and architecture, on topics including fault tolerance, scalability, security, automation, monitoring, and more.Requirements
- A minimum of 10 years professional software industry experience and 5 years of programming experience with Java
- Demonstrated leadership, a passion and desire to manage and lead high-performance teams and people. Inspire, support, guide, and grow!
- Experience working on large scale services, including dealing with matters of scalability, reliability, and performance
- Well versed with the concepts and philosophy of DevOps
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent experience
- Strong understanding of Linux / UNIX servers
- Strong experience with CI/CD
- Familiar with cloud technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Spinnaker, Kafka, Consul, Vault, and OpenStack
- Knowledgeable about data tier technologies, including RDBMSs at scale
- Passion for gaming
- Constantly strive to improve our systems and technologies to achieve high levels of service reliability
- Improve our developer excellence, by providing useful tooling, libraries, automation, and other means, to achieve world class engineering practices
- Directly manage 6 to 8 software engineers, providing project planning, technical recommendations, and career coaching
- Provide technical leadership for projects, including service reliability, build and deploy automation, scalability improvements, and performance optimization
- Coordinate closely with system administrators, DBAs, site reliability engineers, and cloud experts, to deliver epic engineering tools, systems, and practices
- Be an advocate and educator of cutting edge engineering practices and technologies
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.