Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an exceptional storage engineer to join our Infrastructure Engineering team in Irvine, CA. Your mission will be to build and support infrastructure which reliably stores and protects the data that powers all of Blizzard’s online games. You are comfortable working in all aspects of storage engineering and administration: IP and Fibre Channel networking, traditional storage arrays, scale out storage technologies, and backup/data protection systems, while helping to evolve our infrastructure towards being a storage service provider for our private cloud.
The storage team is responsible for making sure that every byte of data in our network is always available, protected, and performant, according to our customers’ needs. Our environment is diverse; we have traditional storage arrays providing backing stores for many large databases, as well as scale-out storage systems providing block and object services for Blizzard’s private cloud. As such, you’ll also need some advanced Linux skills to install, maintain and configure storage software running on commodity server hardware.
Looking to the near future, we see a world where every piece of infrastructure is cloud based, and bare metal servers no longer exist. To enable our developers to build world-class experiences in the cloud world, you will apply all the lessons that you've learned while maintaining traditional storage environments and evolve them to apply at scale within our private cloud.
If you’d like to join us on our journey to becoming an extraordinary service provider, read on to find out exactly what kind of engineer we’re looking for. We’d love to hear from you!
- Provide analysis, design and direction regarding storage performance and capacity management services for our software defined and traditional storage environments
- Design robust storage and backup solutions to meet demanding organizational and application specific SLAs including, but not limited to, HA, RTO/RPO, offsite requirements and disaster recovery
- Lead and coordinate the engineering phases of storage and backup solution delivery including planning, design, buildout, testing, procurement, and transition to operational support
- Streamline and automate existing backup processes, improve recoverability, and reduce the cost per gigabyte to protect critical production data
- Undertake complex projects requiring specialized knowledge of storage technologies, services, and applications
- Data informed approach. Use comprehensive data and metrics collection on performance and reliability aspects of the systems you were responsible for. You will do most of the heavily lifting for this yourself (writing scripts, calling APIs, etc) instead of punting to a vendor-provided solution
- Minimum 4+ years of experience supporting storage environments with high IOPS and throughput production workloads
- Minimum 4+ years of experience supporting large scale Linux environments
- Implement and support scale out block storage (ScaleIO, VxFlex, Ceph, Hedvig, Scality, etc) as well as contributing to design and planning
- Design, implement, and support deployments of object storage technologies
- A deep understanding of Linux systems, in the context of storage, as well as general system tuning and administration
- Comprehensive understanding of how storage on a network works, and how to correct network problems to provide high I/O and reliability
- Ability to perform basic network troubleshooting and administrative tasks in a primarily Cisco environment
- Working understanding and ability to support a variety of file and network storage protocols including Fibre Channel, NFS, iSCSI, CIFS, SMB
- Able to automate tasks using a scripting language such as Python (preferred), Bash, or Ruby
- Ability to influence colleagues, clearly and concisely explain complex problems, and enjoy collaborating with others
- Experience with OpenStack Swift concepts and fundamentals
- Proficiency with popular orchestration and configuration management systems like Puppet, Ansible, and Terraform
- Experience deploying and supporting enterprise storage arrays
- Experience with services from public cloud providers like AWS, Azure, and GCP in hybrid storage environments—some data on-premise, some data in public cloud (S3, GCS, Glacier, etc.)
- BS in Computer Science or related IT field
- A passion for making Blizzard games the best in the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.