Overwatch League is a global, world-class esports ecosystem designed from the ground up to ensure that teams and players can thrive for years to come, and that their fans have the best experience possible. Overwatch League melds Blizzard’s experience in esports with best practices of time-honored traditional sports. We’ll be launching Overwatch League in 2017.
The head of business analytics will empower internal business partners to maximize the use of data and analytics to improve the league, optimize operational and financial performance, increase game-viewer engagement, and the delivery of the company’s competitive strategy. This is a critical leadership role requiring a passionate, experienced, self-driven, analytical, and strategic leader.
In this role, you will develop end-to-end solutions to complex questions and you’ll play an integral role in strategic decision-making. You will help create views that allow us to compare operations across regions, identify best practices, and opportunities for operational improvement. You will identify and deconstruct drivers and enable predictive modeling. You will lead research that explains the data by linking it to market dynamics, customer behavior, and operations, thereby identifying insights and levers to drive overall performance. You will be a thought leader and advisor in all things analytics.
- Define data strategy including the exploration, collection, analysis of all fan / viewer data, as well as, match and player data.
- Be the database and analytics expert for the league; take on ambiguous problems by executing sophisticated quantitative and advanced modeling to deliver actionable insights.
- Synthesize information from multiple internal and external sources to solve problems critical to the businesses future strategy and growth.
- Communicate findings to leadership by preparing polished presentations and identifying key takeaways.
- Responsible for crafting and successfully implementing the analytics strategy.
- Collaborate with individuals across a variety of internal departments to identify needs, define data requirements to determine the right analytical approaches to meet the needs of the organization.
- Develop and report KPI metrics and dashboards to monitor customer level performance (e.g. new / lost / retained).
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of data resources, including operational databases, data maintenance procedures, and information flows with external partners.
- Develop and make recommendations for strategic, operational, and financial effectiveness of enterprise data warehouse.
- Drive data hygiene and overall management of data assets to include defining data requirements, data transfers, transformation of variables, and overall data strategy.
- Advanced degree in mathematics, statistics, economics, or applied sciences
- A minimum of 5 years’ quantitative experience in an advanced analytics, financial engineering, risk analytics, or related role required; experience in video games, media / broadcast or sports preferred
- Strong background in machine learning, hypothesis testing, regression analysis, statistics, or probability, as well as experience creating predictive analytics on high dimensional, noisy data that may also contain missing values preferred
- Experience working with large volumes of data composed of different instruments, coming from different sources
- Hands-on technical experience with conceptualizing large scale data solutions, such as Hadoop, Teradata, Sybase IQ, Microsoft Analytics Platform System (Client), etc. preferred
- Knowledge of statistics, machine learning, and predictive modeling
- Experience with statistical software packages (such as SAS), and / or applications for data visualization and reporting to end users (such as Business Objects, Qlik, or Tableau)
- A deep and broad understanding of core and emerging analytics methods and approaches, and how they can be deployed to drive value within and across client organizations
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Overwatch League
**Only submittals with cover letters will be considered.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.