Blizzard Entertainment has an opening for a talented and enthusiastic Senior Software Server Engineer to join our Battle.net Game Services Group!
The Game Services Group develops the software, services and infrastructure that keeps millions of players online simultaneously worldwide, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. When a player logs in, sends a friend request, a whisper, or a chat within one of our rich virtual worlds, Game Services powers these capabilities. When you use voice chat, check your profile statistics, or create a new social group, we are the team that makes those things possible. From Overwatch to Hearthstone, StarCraft 2 to Diablo 3, World of Warcraft to Heroes, regardless of the game, time zone, or scale, Game Services is ready to answer the call with effectiveness and professionalism, acting as the central pillar to supercharge all player engagement.
- Work with a small and talented team to develop scalable, highly performant platform services
- Implement new features and services to support the needs of multiple teams
- Coordinate with embedded and external teams, create relationships and assist with shared initiatives
- Participate in the ongoing effort to improve our platform infrastructure, with the goal of achieving ever increasing service availability
- Perform research to acquire new knowledge necessary to perform assigned tasks and maintain a process of technological evolution
- Develop unit and integration test code to validate service reliability
- Mentor and educate more junior engineers on the team
- A degree in computer science, or a related field
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Advanced understanding of C++
- Prior development work on distributed systems and client/server architectures
- Strong data-structure, logic, and algorithm skills
- Knowledge of network and server security issues
- Experience with performance analysis and code optimization
- Experience with protocol and API design
- Database development experience (MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, etc.)
- Self-motivated and able to break down complex tasks
- A desire to help make the service the best that it can be for our players
- Proficient in at least one scripting language such as Python
- Linux development experience (server applications, gdb debugging, etc.)
- Experience with cloud/virtualization/containerization technologies and infrastructure
- Enthusiastic about supporting a live service
- Familiarity with Blizzard Entertainment games and features, at least at a casual player level
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.