Blizzard Entertainment is developing a modern, cross-platform game engine to power the future of Blizzard games. We are looking for a UI Engineer to join a small sub-team constructing the UI system. We need someone who understands the value of well-made user interfaces and has the experiences building them to design and implement solutions to common challenges encountered by content creators. Our goal is to make building user interfaces with our engine and tools an enjoyable and rewarding experience. You'll work with us to build the workflows that engineers, designers, and artists will use to create elegant, dynamic, and performant user interfaces for their games.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
What you’ll do…
- Design, implement, document, debug, and test C++ code in ECS style to enable rapid UI development on all of Blizzard's future games
- Build relationships with UI engineers, designers, and artists on game teams across Blizzard to support their desired features, workflows, and tools
- Participate in frequent discussions and code reviews with other engineers on the UI sub-team
- Collaborate with engineers on the engine team to ensure our code is shared when possible and consistent when not
To succeed, you must have…
- Knowledge of fundamental UI concepts like resolution, anchoring, localization, input, rendering, and animation
- The ability to work effectively in a large C++ codebase
- The capacity to make frequent, readable, well-tested commits that don't generate bugs or unintended side effects for others
- Instincts and prototyping skills for quickly evaluating ideas that should be pursued further or abandoned
- Communication skills for sharing ideas clearly, giving meaningful feedback, and listening to what others are saying
- A work ethic that holds you accountable to your commitments and drives you to make the best product possible
You’re a great fit if your philosophy is to…
- Commit to doing things the right way, even when it's difficult
- Refine your work through iteration until you can deliver an epic experience/product
- Value diversity and differences in others
- Find simple and practical solutions by building on the ideas and work of others
- Ensure discussions include every voice that has something to say
- Enable technology that makes games accessible to every person who wants to play them
- Accept that frequent and quick failure is part of the path to success
We’d love it if you also had…
- Mobile and console game development experience
- Passion for gaming (especially Blizzard games)
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to champion an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.