Blizzard is looking for a top-notch Narrative Designer to join the World of Warcraft team. The ideal candidate is an accomplished game developer that can demonstrate their experience working with deep volumes of lore and a well-established player base. They have excellent communication and organization skills, the ability to negotiate with peers in a goal-oriented way, and the ability to balance the Narrative Lead’s goals with the needs of the Design team and the expectations of the game’s intended audience.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Write, review, and edit dialogue, quest text, other text
- Ensure franchise characters are written consistently
- Guide continuity and trajectory of game storylines
- Create and maintain writing style and pronunciation guides
- Provide guidance and best practices to nurture writing talent
- Provide performance direction in voice recording sessions.
- Work with Story and Franchise Development on planning and prioritizing real-time cutscenes
- Review designer real-time cutscenes requests, assign and write scripts, offer feedback
- Work with publishing to review books/comics/stories
- 4+ years of industry experience as a narrative designer/story developer.
- At least one shipped AAA game title in writing or game design role.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to act independently on writing tasks
- Excellent organizational skills and able to work well under deadlines
- Work and thrive in a collaborative team environment
- Knowledge of current successful intellectual properties in today’s popular culture
- Plays and has deep knowledge of World of Warcraft
- Experience writing branching and non-linear dialogue for games
- Experience developing multiplayer open-world games or MMO experiences
- Successfully published writing work (novels, short fiction, film, television, comics)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Links or attachments of writing samples/portfolio (preferred)
- Cover Letter (preferred)
- Resume (required)
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.