The ideal Senior Dungeon Environment artist can either be 2D or 3D focused. Ideally, they’d be able to float between either role. Your focus is to invent elaborate backdrops for all the big baddy bosses that inhabit the game. You are part modeler, lighter, set decorator, texture mapper, and level designer all rolled into one. As gate keeper for a dungeon, you are responsible for translating a 2D layout into a fully realized 3D dungeon. You also must have the creative sense to fill in the gaps and interpret areas that may not have specific concept art.
The dungeons in World of Warcraft offer up a great variety of themes, and you get to be the point person for all things creative that go into it. If this describes your talents, then you have our attention!
- Collaborate closely with level design to translate 2D layout into a fully realized 3D dungeon.
- Freely interpret lose concept art and realize it as a 3D environment.
- Light environment to establish mood and gameplay flow.
- Apply textures and set dress interior environments.
- Create 2D overpaints to flush out the level’s visual design, lighting, and mood.
- Create textures in a hand painted style.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working as an Environment Artist
- Proven ability to work in the 2D and 3D space
- Excellent at setting and driving a vision
- Excellent follow through and takes initiative to solve problems
- An exceptional understanding of architecture as it applies to level design, light, and color
- A thorough understanding of the level design process
- Works closely with game design to ensure art enhances the player experience
- Able to explore a wide variety of ideas that push the WoW style
- Only digital applications will be accepted such as a website, blog or online album. Physical media will not be accepted.
- An art test might be required if the work presented doesn’t adequately demonstrate a similar style to WoW.
- A degree or formal art education such as illustration, traditional painting or industrial design
- Understanding of the visual style of World of Warcraft and a passion to push it to the next level
- A mind for art direction and leadership
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.