2020 SUMMER INTERNSHIPS
DevOps Engineer Intern, Monitoring & Automation
Greetings, students! We’re geared up here to offer another round of epic internship experiences in 2020. The internship program offers the opportunity to pause your studies for one summer and work side-by-side with Blizzard Entertainment employees in your area of interest, doing real work that oftentimes ends up in production. As such, we hold you to the same high standards as anybody else in the company.
Just like our gameplay experiences, Blizzard internships are a fully immersive experience. We want interns who are enthusiastic about what they want to do for a living and excited to come in every day to learn and contribute in this hyper-creative atmosphere. Being fully engaged with our team also means communicating effectively and maintaining an open mind - one that is receptive to feedback and able to adapt and grow. Your hobbies and interests can also play in your favor. Passion for technology, gaming, game development, and an in-depth knowledge of Blizzard games, products, and services will always be a plus with us, regardless of the position you’re applying for. Be passionate about who you are, be into our industry, and be willing to go all-in and embrace this opportunity to the fullest!
QUEST OBJECTIVESBlizzard Entertainment's operations center is looking for a devops engineer intern to help maintain Blizzard’s worldwide IT services. The operations center serves as the focal point for all Blizzard IT Service Operations, including the core functions of Monitoring, Request Fulfillment, and Incident, Event, and Change Management, with devops engineers responsible for the architecture/design, management, and integrations with Blizzard's monitoring and event management services. The core skill sets for a devops engineer intern include software engineering and integrations, systems engineering, and a desire to understand event/alert management, monitoring tools, and automation engines. The devops engineer intern position also relies on knowledge management skill sets to develop documentation and training guides. The operations center is a dynamic, fast-paced, high-reliability, 24 / 7 facility supporting one of the most complex and prolific gaming infrastructures on the planet. If you excited about full-stack engineering (hardware, containers, and application development), read on.
- Work with with service operations managers, operations center leadership, and internal stakeholders to design and implement solutions that improve and expand Blizzard's Event Management tooling and capabilities.
- Work with service owners to engineer and on-board new monitoring solutions to the operations center.
- Work with operations center administrators and engineers to continuously improve event quality (signal/noise) and process/tooling performance.
- Develop api-driven software solutions to integrate diverse commercial or internally developed tools.
- Collaborate with management in defining metrics and KPIs critical to the analysis of event management performance.
- Collaborate with service operations team to develop reports to highlight monitoring/alert coverage and effectiveness for service owners and senior leadership.
- Perform detailed research, analysis, and provide recommendations on proof-of-concepts and build vs. buy scenarios.
- Create technical and end-user documentation for integrations and tooling managed by the Monitoring and Automation team.
- Participate in production support and scheduled on-call responsibilities.
- Currently enrolled in a college or university
- Returning for at least one more semester or quarter following the summer 2020 internship
- Able to work fulltime hours for 11 – 12 weeks at the Blizzard office indicated in this job posting between May 2020 – August 2020 or June 2020 – September 2020 (group dates depend on when you get out of school)
- Authorized to work in the US
- Experience working with Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, with experience working with system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols.
- Awareness of monitoring technology and protocols (Nagios, SolarWinds, Telegraf (TICK), Sensu, AppDynamix/NewRelic, NMS)
- Familiarity with with the ELK stack and metrics time-series databases (InfluxDB, Graphite, OpenTSDB)
- Experience developing and writing code in at least 1 modern scripted/interpreted language (Python, C#, Ruby, Groovy, Node.js, Go)
- Functional knowledge developing microservice-based HTTP applications and servers, including JMX, Flask, Apache/NGINX
- Understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle; including CI and CD pipeline architecture.
- Understanding of cloud orchestration frameworks, enterprise IT service provisioning tools, and their role in IT transformation.
- Familiarity with service configuration and deployments tools, such as Ansible, Consul, Jenkins, Puppet, Terraform and Vault.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, able to train users on topics, provide presentations to an internal audience, and interact positively with and receive direction.
- Experience with developing and delivering presentations with Microsoft PowerPoint
- Passion for video games and technology!
- Cover Letter
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard Entertainment
- What technology or games you are currently playing with
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences...ever. Join us!
Please submit your application no later than December 2, 2019.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.