Well met, student engineers! Blizzard Entertainment’s university relations (UR) team here, and before we turn this job description over to the business intelligence team to talk about the scope of the role, we’d like to say thanks for your interest and for (hopefully) taking the initiative to apply.
Our new grad program is focused on helping you – oh intrepid, graduating student – begin your career in the gaming industry in the most direct way possible. Blizzard is not an easy place to get into, that’s true, but we believe we’re a studio well worthy of your career. For over twenty years now, employees have established and continue to cultivate a culture built on passion, collaboration, creativity, and fun. Put simply, we legitimately love doing what we do for a living, and we’re proud to offer you an opportunity to do the same. Good luck!
Blizzard is looking for a data scientist to join our business intelligence team. The ideal candidate has a strong technical background in machine learning, data mining, statistics, or a related quantitative field and has the ability to carry out development using advanced statistical modeling techniques.
- Currently enrolled in college or university
- Graduating between December 2016 – August 2017
- Authorized to work in the US
- Develop state-of-the-art machine learning, data mining, and statistical modeling solutions to understand game design, system performance, and key business behaviors with guidance from senior leads.
- Analyze and extract key insights and patterns from Blizzard's rich collections of petabytes of gameplay and operational data.
- Collaborate and develop predictive models for applications like matchmaking, recommendation systems, targeted marketing, etc.
- Effectively translate statistical findings into actionable recommendations for senior leaders on game design and business teams.
- MS with a specialization in machine learning, statistics, applied math, or in a related quantitative field
- Experience with machine learning and statistical analysis approaches such as classification, clustering, regression, statistical inference, collaborative filtering, natural language processing, experimental design, social networking analysis, etc.
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong programming and prototyping skills in R or MATLAB
- Familiar with SQL, MPP and NoSQL databases
- Strong written and spoken communications skills
- Passion for video games
- Experience with Blizzard games
- Proficient with programming languages like Python, Java or C++
- Familiar with Big Data and Hadoop tech stack (HDFS / Map Reduce / Mahout / Hive / Spark)
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with cover letters will be considered
On Blizzard Culture
Blizzard exists in a hyper-creative atmosphere, curated by talented professionals serious about getting the most out of themselves and our culture. Our philosophy on culture fit is pretty simple: we want people who are enthusiastic about what they want to do for a living, and excited to come in every day to learn and contribute. Ours is a highly collaborative environment, and we’re drawn to like-minded people who love knowledge-sharing and thrive in a team setting. Being part of a team also means communicating effectively and maintaining an open mind - one that is receptive to feedback and able to adapt and grow. Your hobbies and interests can also play in your favor. Passion for technology, gaming, game development, and an in-depth knowledge of Blizzard games, products and services will always be a plus with us, regardless of the position you’re applying for. Be passionate about who you are, be into our industry, and be willing to go all-in and embrace this opportunity to the fullest.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.