Are you a Linux geek stuck in the body of a corporate IT drone? When you find a system performance problem do you reach for the kernel source code before google.com? Have you ever stumped third level support from a major Linux distribution vendor? Can you kickstart 50 servers at once while writing a Python script in another screen? Is your home PC a Linux machine with a RAID?
Do you have a passion to help Blizzard Entertainment games remain the best in the world?
If this sounds like you, read on...
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented Linux Systems Engineer to join our Infrastructure Engineering team. The ideal individual has an intimate understanding of the deployment and tuning of Linux systems, as well as software development skills to automate and improve processes in a large (10,000+) server infrastructure. The individual will work with little guidance in a fast-paced, action-packed environment digging deep into the core services that make the Blizzard platform tick.
- Design environments according to project requirements.
- Perform system performance tuning and administration.
- Research new technologies including software and hardware, based on business requirements.
- Assist developers in implementing changes in non-production environments.
- Follow procedures identified by SOX and PCI standards.
- Document operational processes and procedures.
- Mentor system administrators and technicians.
- Participate in production support and in on-call duties.
- A minimum of 3 years’ system administration experience
- A mastery of Linux. This means: you know why things work on a Linux system, not just how to configure them.
- A deep understanding of all our favorite 3 and 4 letter IT words; NTP, NFS, DNS, DHCP, SMTP, etc.
- Experience administering CentOS/RedHat Linux
- Expertise with configuration management (we use Puppet)
- Write scripts in some administrative language (Python, Perl, Shell)
- Strong performance troubleshooting skills
- Able to read and perform debugging of C/C++/Java programs. Being able to write programs in these languages is even better
- Familiarity with OpenStack and/or EC2
- Experience with AMQP (RabbitMQ)
- A degree in computer science or a related field
- Able to play the lead role in projects
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter (optional)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.