Blizzard Animation, which creates the Cinematics that breathe life into the various Blizzard Franchises, is seeking an inventive software engineer for our Front End R&D Team. This engineer will be responsible for creating software tools and workflows for front-end departments such as previz, modeling, rigging, animation, simulation etc. for all Blizzard Cinematic projects. Specifically, we are looking for a software engineer to help develop custom software tools, maintain/augment existing tools to support these front-end departments and their asset/data flow needs. We use Autodesk's Maya (with custom plugins and workflows) to build our worlds and animate characters. You are fluent in 3D math and 3D geometry, conversant with Maya C++ APIs and Python APIs and have an understanding of how data flows in a graphics content pipeline. You will need to partner with the creative artists, TDs and fellow RnD engineers to build tools that scale our front-end production processes. This is a full-time position at our Blizzard central office in Irvine, California.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.Responsibilities
- Develop new 3D graphics tools as well as maintain existing software tools for front-end production. These software tools relate to creating/manipulating 3D geometry and animations, support our asset caching pipelines using alembic formats and much more.
- Partner with front-end artists and TDs to understand production requirements and workflows, propose and implement software tools for them.
- Improve efficiencies as well as the scale of tools for our content creation pipeline which involve pre-rendered cinematics as well as in-game cinematics.
- Professional industry experience with computer graphics (VFX, animation, games) demonstrating software skills with respect to 3D graphics, 3D mathematics, debugging 3D problems.
- Solid 3D math foundation (comfortable with 3D transformations & 3D operations)
- Experience may be substituted for Advanced College degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) showing coursework, projects focused on 3D computer graphics technologies related to this job description.
- Passion for programming and software development on linux & windows.
- Proven experience with the following technologies - Autodesk Maya (or other industry software) and its C++, Python APIs.
- Real production experience with VFX or animation pipelines for movies/games with tools developed in Autodesk Maya.
- An exposure/understanding of industry data caching formats such as Alembic and Universal Scene Description (USD)
- An understanding of how technology empowers artists
- Resume (PDF preferred)
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- Indicate why you might be passionate about 3D animation, visual effects or gaming
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.