Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a creative and experienced book art & design manager to work with the Blizzard Books team in Irvine, California. Blizzard Books is part of the Story & Franchise Development group which supports Blizzard Entertainment’s universes through a variety of media, including animation, cinematics, illustrations, novels, comics, and more, working with internal as well as external talent.
The book art & design manager will work closely with the lead editor and the rest of the Blizzard Books team to provide artistic vision for the list, guiding artists, spearheading cover and interior design direction, and composing unique branding for new series. As the artistic and graphic design lead of the group, they will play a major part in creating epic published products that grow Blizzard’s publishing program in a bold new direction.
The book art & design manager will also interface heavily with Blizzard’s licensing and game teams and will be the day-to-day contact for everything involving the visual elements of book projects. The ideal candidate will have exceptional creativity and the ability to oversee the development of multiple projects at once, providing art and design guidance from the strategic level down to the fine details.
- Develops high-quality visual concepts, cover comps, and sample interior designs for internal projects
- Works closely with external partners on artist choice, cover direction, and interior art
- Interfaces with art directors on various game teams for all art-related approvals
- Designs 4-6 books a year internally, including comics/graphic novels, novels, coffee table books, and in-world guidebooks
- Source, hire, and art direct freelance illustrators and out-of-house book designers
- Knowledgeable of current trends and maintains an extensive network within the comics/publishing industry, particularly as it pertains to comics/graphic novels
- Traffics design work, keeps projects on a timely schedule and meets deadlines
- Works collaboratively with the editorial and game teams
- Must have excellent communication and problem-solving skills; be able to work with minimal supervision
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Minimum 5 years of design experience
- Book cover and interior design experience required
- Comics experience required
- Preference given to those with a background in illustration
- Knowledge of Blizzard IPs and interest in the gaming industry
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and adapt to a fast-paced, iterative environment
- BFA degree or equivalent experience
Application: Please include a PDF Resume
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.