Blizzard Entertainment is a community of over 4000 global employees who are passionate about not only gaming, but entertainment, and the technology that drives our users experience. We have been rated by Fortune as one of the "Best Places to Work" for several years running (and our ranking continues to rise!). Our goal is to delight our customers by never settling for anything but the highest quality and providing worlds filled with creativity and adventure around every corner. If you are bright, engaging, eager to learn, and ready to make an impact… we've been waiting for YOU!
Battle.net is seeking a Senior Technical Writer to help us document our systems to share information and encapsulate our tribal knowledge. This involves capturing tacit knowledge and publishing it across the teams. We need an experienced technical writer, specialized in application programming interface (API) documentation and other highly technical deliverables. The ideal candidate is highly organized, has excellent communications skills, and has a passion for distilling complex systems and concepts into concise user documentation.WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Collaborate with our engineering team that supports our proprietary Internet-based online gaming, digital distribution, and digital rights management platform called Battle.net. You will translate their code into usable documentation for other groups of engineers inside Blizzard, complete with detailed explanations and code samples.
- Write and enhance user and developer guides, including reference materials, tutorials, SDK, and API documentation.
- Organize and audit the documentation library to keep information relevant over time.
- Provide structure and support for developers writing technical documentation, champion good documentation habits, and help people focus on the most important things to document.
- Develop new templates and document types to meet the evolving needs of the company.
- Establish standards, style guides, and best practices for documentation.
- Help promote company-wide knowledge sharing practices.
WHAT WE REQUIRE FROM YOU
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, English, Technical Communications, or a related field
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as a technical writer or information developer
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience creating API, SDK, architectural, and other engineering-focused documentation
- Experience working in a software development environment
- Familiar with the software development life cycle and Agile processes
- Good foundation in programming, API design, and software architecture
- Experience with source control and bug-tracking systems
- Experience with diagramming tools, such as Visio and Balsamiq
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Proven ability to learn new systems and develop product expertise quickly
- Experience using wikis and other information repositories (Confluence preferred)
JUST IN CASE, YOU HAVE THE FOLLOWING EXPERIENCE…
- Participation in open source projects
- Experience with Atlassian products (Confluence and JIRA)
- Experience with XML and UML diagrams
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.