Blizzard Entertainment is a community of over 4000 global employees who are passionate about not only gaming, but entertainment, and the technology that drives our users experience. We have been rated by Fortune as one of the "Best Places to Work" for several years running (and our ranking continues to rise!). Our goal is to delight our customers by never settling for anything but the highest quality and providing worlds filled with creativity and adventure around every corner. If you are bright, engaging, eager to learn, and ready to make an impact… we've been waiting for YOU!
The Overwatch team is seeking a Senior Technical Writer to help us document our systems to share information and encapsulate our tribal knowledge. We need an experienced technical writer, specialized in documenting both internal artist and designer tools as well as code libraries and APIs. The ideal candidate is highly organized, has excellent communications skills, and has a passion for distilling complex tools and systems into concise user documentation.
This is a temporary position at our headquarters in Irvine, CA.
- Collaborate with our engineering team to translate their code into usable documentation complete with detailed explanations and code samples.
- Write and enhance user and developer guides, including reference materials, tutorials, SDK, and API documentation for other groups of engineers and content creators inside Blizzard.
- Organize and audit the documentation library to keep information relevant over time.
- Provide structure and support for developers writing technical documentation, champion good documentation habits, and help people focus on the most important things to document.
- Develop new templates and document types to meet the evolving needs of the company.
- Establish standards, style guides, and best practices for documentation.
- Help promote company-wide knowledge sharing practices.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, English, Technical Communications, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as a technical writer or information developer.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience creating API, SDK, architectural, and other engineering-focused documentation.
- Experience working in a software development environment.
- Familiar with the software development life cycle and Agile processes.
- Good foundation in programming, API design, and software architecture.
- Experience with source control and bug-tracking systems.
- Experience with diagramming tools, such as Visio, Photoshop, and Balsamiq.
- Experience with CSS and HTML.
- Proven ability to learn new systems and develop product expertise quickly.
- Experience using wikis and other information repositories (Confluence preferred).
- Experience with Atlassian products (Confluence and JIRA)
- Experience with XML and UML diagrams
- Passion for playing games or game development
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.