Blizzard Entertainment's Story and Franchise Development (S&FD) team is a collection of industry-leading talent tasked with enriching Blizzard franchises on every front. We are storytellers who tell creative stories through a vast range of media formats. As part of S&FD, Blizzard cinematics invites you to join us as we pair with Blizzard’s game development teams to augment our franchises with interesting characters, rich stories, and gorgeous designs. Be a part of an organization that inspires millions and continue to extend the reach of our franchises to entirely new audiences. We take pride in hiring the best, and joining Blizzard cinematics means joining a family of craftsmen who build and support one another, all dedicated to crafting the most epic entertainment experiences… ever.
Our team is currently looking for a hardworking In-Game Cinematic FX Artist – Temp.
- Take ownership of a wide range of VFX (fire, smoke, magic, electricity, explosions, etc.) using various techniques in both 3D FX packages & Game Engines
- Work with lead artists to ensure timely completion of VFX
- Technical setup, integration, and troubleshooting of VFX
- Serve as an active participant in team art discussions, critiques, and reviews
- Research and collect reference to help guide the look of VFX
- Work within the established art styles of our wide-ranging IPs
- Requires a minimum of 3 years’ experience in film, cinematics, games, or equivalent education/work experience
- Experience crafting eye-catching FX using Maya, Houdini, After Effects, Nuke, Photoshop, and/or In-game FX systems.
- A prior understanding of physics and animation timing
- A basic understanding of real-time VFX and Particles
- Ability to adapt to various art styles
- Strong Communication Skills
- Basic Knowledge of Scripting Languages
- Experience creating Procedural Shaders using various shader languages
- Strong Knowledge of Python or C++
- 2D Animation background with a sound understanding of the principles of animation and timing
- Experience working with Volumetric and Liquid simulations
- Ability to build FX concept art
- Compositing Experience with Nuke or After Effects
- Houdini Power User
- Avid Gamer with extensive knowledge of Blizzard’s IPs
- Previously worked on Cinematics for AAA Games
- Experience Developing a Pre-rendered or In-Game pipeline
- Demo Reel/Portfolio of work in digital format (website, blog, online album, googledrive etc.). Physical media will not be accepted
- Cover letter (optional)
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.