The Overwatch team is looking for a driven, passionate level designer with experience building compelling multiplayer gameplay spaces. Are you motivated, enthusiastic, and geeked up by creating fun and interesting environments? Do you excel in creating exciting, re-playable gameplay experiences within your levels? If yes, this may be a phenomenal fit for you!
We are a team of passionate developers that highly value open-minded collaboration, direct feedback, and the eagerness to grab and drive a feature to Blizzard quality. As a level designer on the team, you will be reviewing feedback from playtests and collaborating with the design team to decide what actions to take. When particularly hard problems arise, you will draw upon the team's collective creativity to finalize a design that meets the game's needs.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience building immersive environments for modern AAA titles. By blending your mastery of level design with a critical eye for layout and art, you will rally and align teams around building epic, memorable maps.
Your portfolio should include visual examples of your favorite game spaces that you have created in your career to date and an explanation of your direct responsibilities in these examples.
Stuff We Will Trust You With
- Owning multiplayer level layouts from conception to the final stages of polish that complement and help showcase the game’s systems and hero abilities, as well as facilitating communication and coordinating team members to ensure the vision is clearly defined and understood.
- Translating approved level layouts into playable design blockouts using our in-house tools.
- Work collaboratively with artists and designers to create fun, compelling, and visually appealing gameplay spaces.
- You’ll iterate constantly to find the most fun in your levels as possible.
- Embrace Blizzard's core value of "Every voice matters," creating a safe space for collaboration, communication, and creativity across all disciplines and departments.
Stuff You Can Rightfully Brag About
What will it take to be successful in this role? Well, we’re always looking for people who are game developers first and who can help us become even better than we are today, so these are probably some of your previous achievements:
- You’ve been building the most fun and memorable multiplayer levels on shipped AAA titles.
- Your passion for games is unending, when your day at work building levels ends, you’re playing them at home.
- You have extensive experience with industry standard game creation tools like Unity, Hammer, and UnrealEd.
- You have a strong sense for what makes a map fun to play with a strong attention to detail.
- You’re self-driven, a good communicator and a great team-player.
- Passion for action games on console or PC; Overwatch players are strongly desired
And yeah, you will need these things to apply
- Cover Letter (optional but recommended)
- A Portfolio demonstrating the following items:
- List of games worked on and levels in each game
- Describe specific individual contributions for levels highlighted
- Screenshots of each map from those games (optional but recommended)
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.