The European Esports team is seeking a seasoned, dynamic and passionate communications expert for a new manager role. The Esports Communications Planning Manager will be responsible for identifying upcoming stories in the world of Blizzard esports, and ensuring these stories get told on Blizzard’s owned channels: social, sites, launcher, video content, etc. This role works very closely with - and is a resource for - other communications stakeholders around the company to maximize opportunities which build interest, engagement, participation, and passion for our games’ exciting competitive moments.
This role requires not only passion for esports, but also tremendous energy and personal drive to share the esports stories from around the world. The ideal candidate is deeply familiar with all levels of organized play across various games, and is also a natural diplomat with a knack for building a shared vision on creative content and consensus on what motivates esports fans.
The Esports Communications Planning Manager will build and manage a small team of experts in this environment, as well as to contribute to a shared creative vision of the esports experience from the perspective of the viewer, live attendee, player, organizer, and talent. Essential attributes include outstanding interpersonal English communication skills, and the proven ability to stay organized in complex, changing environments. This position reports to the Manager, Esports Operations.
- Build, develop and lead the European Esports Communications team and functions
- Work with Esports franchise team members, in Europe and globally, to identify upcoming communications opportunities and the best ways to exploit them
- Develop schedules per esports product in association with Communication team colleagues
- Take part in the creative process for stories and content, generating and maintaining momentum per story
- Ensure content is fully edited, localized as appropriate, and approved as needed – in a shared process with communication stakeholders
- Follow up on the success of communications, using a data-driven approach
- Develop and maintain the creation of tools, documentation, reports, and post-mortems for esports communications
- As needed, draft communications and be part of approval processes
- Passion for esports
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in a leadership communications role in an esports organization, games development studio, or in games journalism
- Previous people management experience
- Up to date knowledge of the latest media trends and technologies
- Excellent organizational skills and the drive to consistently meet project deadlines
- Intensive attention to detail
- Proven ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated and able to multitask effectively
- Able to work occasional overtime and weekends, and able to travel internationally as needed
- Native-level communications skills in verbal and written English
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Professional experience organizing and/or coordinating live events or a similar experience working in the esports industry
- Experience of working closely with esports talent and players
- Basic knowledge of Project Management platforms, particularly Confluence
- Fluency in another European language
Required application materials
- Resume and cover letter in English
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.