How would it feel to have your code running at the beating heart of every Blizzard game server? We are forming a new team responsible for making shared backend technology used cross-organization. From scratch, we will be partnering with the various game teams to produce a server engine that enables us to make games more quickly.
The Senior Software Engineer position on this team will be a key player in this effort. We are looking for expert backend server programmers who are passionate about developing server code that will see extensive use. In doing so, we will solve challenges at incredible scale. Millions of players, billions of packets, and thousands of server processes. We will need to figure out how to make something that works in a wide variety of game formats, and be comfortable in unfamiliar territory.
We are super excited to get these efforts moving forward. You will be making an enormous impact to organization, so if being a part of this sounds exciting to you, drop us a line!Responsibilities
- Build foundational game server tech, enabling Blizzard to make epic experiences….faster!
- Own key components – the networking and transport stack, protocols and serialization, logging, service discovery, and more – all used by thousands of Blizzard servers.
- Make products consumed by other programmers - design, architect, and own features, from inception into production, that you yourself would love to use.
- Help evangelize shared server technology across the organization.
- This is a server programming team, it requires a minimum of 5 years' of experience in this space.
- The problems you will solve involve distributed systems at a massive scale, sorecognizing the problem set in that space is key.
- Primary language will be C++, so you should be an expert, both with its historical patterns as well as modern language features and usage. At least 4 years of experience is what we expect.
- Flexibility in language choice and usage: capable of and okay with picking up new languages.
- Passionate about writing code and engineering. We want reliable, fast, and above all: simple and easy to understand code.
- Understand what makes a nice API, and what other programmers appreciate in an API.
- You should have experience with a broad spectrum of backend technology. The specific technologies don’t matter as much as your ability to learn new things quickly and an appreciate choosing the right tool for the job.
- Fluent with Relational Databases (SQL), and familiar with Document stores (NoSQL), and modern implementations of each.
- Linux should be very comfortable for you, as well as using command line tools. You should also be proficient in at least one scripting language.
- Domain knowledge in the security space is important: you should understand all the reasons why systems should be secure, and how minimize vulnerabilities in code and systems.
- Mobile experience, especially with C++ development in the mobile space.
- Expert level experience in relevant technologies such as MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, Docker, etc.
- Expert systems level programming experience on Linux. You can explain the implementation details of different parts of /proc, for example.
- A college degree.
- Experience mentoring other specialists.
- Passionate about gaming and Blizzard games.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
Hinweis für Personalvermittler und Stellenvermittlungsagenturen: Wir akzeptieren keine Blindbewerbungen von Agenturen oder Personalvermittlern. Bitte leiten Sie keine Blindbewerbungen an unsere Webseite oder Angestellten weiter. Wir werden keine Gebühren an fremde Agenturen, Personalvermittler oder Firmen entrichten, ohne einen einvernehmlich vereinbarten Vertrag und sind nicht verantwortlich für jegliche Vermittlungshonorare bei Blindbewerbungen. Blindbewerbungen werden als unser Eigentum angesehen und entsprechend weiterverarbeitet.